It’s Saturday morning. We have Yellow Submarine playing on the stereo and I’ve brewed a rather large coffee. Yes indeed, ladies and gentleman. we are marching onward toward laying the first rail. As the photo shows, the roadbed for the main track is in place and I’ve also installed the piece for the public siding. Sanding the transition down from the main onto the siding has been slow but I think I have a nice long grade that I can more than live with. If I had this to do over again, I would have shaped this section of roadbed off the layout before glueing it down.
I also cut the first length of flex track to length. Feed wires are soldered in beneath the rails. I had read several modellers suggesting a spray camouflage paint as a base colour for track. I picked up a can of this paint made by Krylon and used it to paint this first length of track. I’ve never used Krylon before (I’m a Tremclad and Rustoleum man) and found it to be a really nice, fine paint. It sprays nicely and it’s easy to build up a nice finish. I have traditionally used Humbrol’s “Track Colour” or Floquil’s “Roof Brown” as the base coat for my track colouring and this Krylon colour is fairly close. The finish is, as the can says, dead flat.
With any luck I may stick in this first bit of track today. It feels like a real proclamation in favour of progress. I like that.