On time and on budget. Day four.

When I started this week, I started with a silent proclamation that I would get something meaningful built in a week. It was something I joked about at Sunday’s op’s session at Derwin’s as I was heading out the door and as I walked to my car I thought about what that would involve. It’s Thursday and I think I’m well on my way to realising the goal of actually running a train across this thing before heading out the door to op’s. One week? So far, so good.

Yesterday I assembled the legs. The uprights are 1×2 with 3/4x2x8″ blocks glued and screwed to provide a tiny bit of lateral structure and also a place to add shelving. These legs will simply slot into the table. I don’t, currently, plan to bolt or screw the legs into the tabletop and feel that gravity should do a fine job of keeping things in place. Both modules will be bolted together to maintain alignment. The shelves will be screwed in at each end and I’ll be adding a narrow sheet across the back for more lateral strength.

Today I had to trim a little from the top of two of the legs since I assembled them a little too wide. I’ve also cut two of the shelves. I would like to have the two modules assembled by the end of the day, today. I ran out of plywood and need just enough to make up two more shelves (four in total under the layout – picture a bookcase with trains on top). I’ll try and map out that sheet so I have enough to rip some 2″ wide strips to use as stretchers under the shelves since the four foot span is really too long for an shelf with no other support along its length.

7/8" wide slot at each module's end. Lots of glue and screws keeps everything nicely locked in place. Need to break out the sander for a few minutes to clean up some ragged ends.

7/8″ wide slot at each module’s end. Lots of glue and screws keeps everything nicely locked in place. Need to break out the sander for a few minutes to clean up some ragged ends.

Leg in one hand and camera in the other. Action shot shows me assembling the end.

Leg in one hand and camera in the other. Action shot shows me assembling the end.

Top stretcher acts as ledger and module base will rest on top so deck of layout isn't carrying any load other than trains.

Top stretcher acts as ledger and module base will rest on top so deck of layout isn’t carrying any load other than trains.

Advertisements

4 comments

    1. I was, and still am, worried that a 50″ high layout only 9″ deep could be a little unstable. Some weight from well-used storage on the bottom shelf should provide the ballast to offset this. I’ve been telling myself that the bookcases around the house haven’t toppled over yet and they approximate the size and shape of what I’m up to.

      …sometimes there’s only one way to find out.

  1. Nice work! My “woodworking” will never be documented in this way. Every time I build something from wood, it ends up looking like it was done with a chainsaw and sledge hammer.

    1. Thanks!

      Part of this is using good old 3/4″ plywood. It’s just such a forgiving material to work with. I try to fish out the best sheets when buying to get a face that doesn’t look too rugged. The thicker sheet is forgiving when making butt joints like these.

      I’m quite pleased that, so far, I haven’t managed to really mess this up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s