With both halves of the layout joined together, it is indeed time to lay track on the second half. I’ve only got one siding planned on that section and needed to build a turnout for that. I’ve just finished soldering in the last few ties on this third turnout.
I really like these longer turnouts. From time to time I’ve been posting thoughts about things I’m doing that I would like to continue with, on this layout and in those that will follow. A minimum #8 turnout is now firmly on that list. Of course, longer turnouts have wider gaps around the frog’s rails to accomodate traditional N scale wheels. On one hand I think I’ll continue with the current track and wheel profiles so I can get something running. With that underway, I’ll have time to build replacement track sections built to match a finer standard (wheels and details). It never occured to me that I could adopt something of a recursive approach to layout construction where I could refine these elements over time but I think I like it.
Categories: Prince Street Layout