Shingles: Take 1

DSC02008 DSC02011So pleased with that small section of brick I made up on the weekend, I found my thoughts turning to wood shingles. Armed with a little more cardstock and some dimensions I’d taken from the shingles on the outside of our house, I set to work and in the photos above you can see how it turned out.

In smaller scale modelling I’ve used a lot of paper shingles made up in strips. Each strip is cut part-way across the strip and when laid on the wall, they are intended to overlap and the resulting exposed bottom of each strip represents shingles. It’s a technique that works very well but I wondered what a move upward to 1/35 scale might offer and what lessons from my brick I could apply here. The more I experiment with little projects like these in 1/35 scale the more I intrigued I am with how well an approach that we’d use in real life works on the model. In this case, I had been thinking about trying to lay up a short section of shingles in 1/35 scale just as I would on the back wall of our house.

Before even beginning, I needed to think about the shingles themselves. Real ones are wedge-shaped and I just can’t come up with a way to achieve that effect in miniature. It looks like no matter what approach I settle on, my shingles will be square when viewed in section. Just as in real life, my shingles will overlap and I reasoned that if I cut my shingles shorter, in length, that the square profile would be offset by the shorter length. I settled on a 3.5mm exposure shingle cut from 0.3mm thick cardstock. The shingles themselves are actually 5mm long and this provides a 1.5mm overlap between each course.

I started by cutting a strip of cardstock to represent a ledger and placed that at the base of my wall. Once this was in place I proceeded to glue in the first course of shingles. With that done, I measured up 3.5mm on the shingles and snapped a line across them to indicate the exposure. From here on out the process repeats the above steps.

I’m pleased with the workflow for this process and found the work relaxing. As with the individual bricks, laying shingles one-at-a-time would make it really easy to replicate a more complicated pattern representing either some fancy shinglework or perhaps a building that isn’t in great repair. Where in the smaller scales the exposure is managed from spacing ruled onto the wall sheathing, in this example i’m managing this right on the shingles. What I found funny was that the wall just feels like the detail is too thick or too heavy. I can’t quite put my finger on why. Were I to try this again, I might try a similar section but using cardstock that was thinner in the hopes of producing a wall with more subtle relief in terms of texture.

Tomorrow I’ll wash some colour onto this wall just to get a final read on the result. For now, I’m happy to have tried something I was thinking about and just spend some time working on a model, even if only a component part. Despite the fact that I’m not pleased with the result I’m very glad to have tried it. All in all, it feels like a great way to have spent about an hour’s time on a night where I’m finding it a bit hard to relax and find my centre.

Cheers

/chris

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s