It’s been a year and a half since I wrote My morning coffee, trackside. That was my last blog post about my previous layout and a little while after I wrote that post I took the layout apart. When I took it apart, I carefully prised the entire top, track, wiring, and all, and stored it in our shed. I didn’t save the layout out of some belief that one day I’d resurrect it but more as a long term test to see just how well it would hold up in a typical uninsulated garden shed. During the time in the shed the layout endured two full Island winters, one and a half really hot summers, and all the weather that comes in between.
On several occasions, Lance Mindheim has talked about using white glue to stick down flex track*. I hadn’t tried it before and this layout was my first applicaton to try his advice. I was immediately pleased at how well it worked when I first stuck down the track. That level of satisfaction doesn’t even compare to what I discovered last week: man, does the track ever come up nicely!
The track I used was Micro Engineering, N scale, with code 55 rails. It’s delicate stuff. As one last test of how well white glue works to stick down track I figured I’d try lifting it back up. I can’t begin to describe my surprise as the track started to lift up almost perfectly. I’ll admit that I worked by very carefully sliding a putty knife along the base of the ties.
I took some photos to illustrate just how well.
Sometimes we try something and find it so successful that it feels almost evolutionary. For me, using the cheap white glue I bought in the grocery store’s school supply aisle is just how I plan on sticking down track pretty much from now on.
I was so delighted, I figured I’d share my story.
*such as in this blog post: http://lancemindheim.com/2015/12/is-it-worth-it/