I thought I might break the naming convention that’s forming on these posts and go wild. “Lister on frame”? Nah, patterns are cool.
When I bought this kit I assumed I’d just stick this all together quickly like some Lego kit and then fritter away the next few weeks, months, lifetimes away remaking parts and refining the model and acting like I knew what I was doing. Who did I think I was? Oh, to be young and ignorant like I was in that faraway place that was April. I don’t know about you but I narrate most of my activities in my head like I’m hosting my own public broadcasting program. “Remaking” already but not replacing because I find I keep disappearing into that sort of narrative and when that happens, mistakes happen, so, remaking is a pattern of breaking parts apart and reassembling them like I should have. It’s all fun though. I have a pile of photographs and a locomotive like this is the fantasy of pragmatic design so design decisions feel logical and remind me of designing a house’s frame. “What holds up the other end of this?”
The hood is assembled for probably, at least, the fourth time. It’s more square than it’s ever been and is likely ever to be. Gussets are glued into place at each corner of the main frame and the various crossmembers you see in the photo are also all stuck in place. Yeah, that tape on the transmission hump? I’m not ready to glue that in but wanted to make sure it would all fit so I taped these three pieces together and I’ll cut that tape away and drop the transmission out once the glue’s dry.
I reduced the frame width by cutting out 6mm total. I’m glad I did. That leaves the model still too wide, compared to drawings, but it also stays in the range of how IP Engineering selectively changed the size of some components in the model. The 32mm gauge wheels will still fit easily as planned and I think the model’s footprint is less square looking. Plus, this decision adds a little extra work and cutting stuff that feels like making stuff than just sticking it together.
I’ve just finished tidying up the work space. I think the next stage will focus on the underside of the model, fitting those characteristic ballast weights and the sideframes too. This is so much fun and I’m enjoying every moment of this kit. I really should have done this a long time ago. Nonetheless, I’m grateful to have the opportunity to be doing it now.